At Hermeus, you'll have the opportunity to drive the design of airframe architecture of high-speed (hypersonic) point-to-point vehicles. You’ll work through the challenges of handling extreme thermal loads on the airframe and developing vehicle from concept to flight. You’ll be heavily involved in cultivating a strong technical team. We’ll do the analysis but not the paralysis. This position will report directly to the CTO.
- Lead the design, analysis, manufacture, test, certification, and continuous improvement of complex airframe assemblies that are critical to safe and efficient flight
- Own the design of complicated mechanisms, linkages, actuators, etc.
- Develop layout and sizing of a multiple high-speed aircraft products
- Conduct detailed FE analysis for airframe structures and subassemblies
- Develop detailed design and fabrication work orders
- Develop ground support equipment and tooling for in-house manufacture and integration
- Lead, develop, and document ground and flight test campaigns for aircraft structural qualification
- Investigate design factors such as function, materials, performance, interchangeability, weight, stress and strength requirements
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- Build a team of structures engineers by interviewing candidates, driving your team's professional development, and by providing technical direction
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or similar
- 10+ years in the design/layout, fabricating, testing and validation of complex vehicle structures
- Experience in hands-on development of vehicle structures, including hardware integration/troubleshooting
- Experience leading technical projects and technical teams
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience with CAD/PLM tools (OnShape, Pro-E, Catia/Enovia, NX/Teamcenter, etc.)
- Experience with finite element analysis FEA/CAE and associated tools (ANSYS, FEMAP, Optistruct, Abacus)
- Programming (Python, Matlab, C++, Fortran)
Preferred Skills & Competencies:
- Master’s or PhD degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or similar
- Experience in full-vehicle layout with consideration for sub-system integration
- Experience performing structural and thermal analysis (such as fatigue, flutter, etc.)
- Experience with finite element analysis and associated tools
- Experience with rapid prototyping
- Experience with human factors
- High-level and intuitive design capabilities
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Strong volumetric awareness and mechanical sympathy
All employees of Hermeus must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State in order to conform to U.S. Government export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Learn more about the ITAR here.
Hermeus is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Hermeus determines employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.